Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Week 8: It's Time to be Great!

My Lily Rose blowing bubbles. . .
Okay, couldn't help the rhyme with the week number. However, I am feeling like everyone is making great progress toward their technological competence. As a small group, we will definitely share the drafts of the NETS-I collaborative narratives. I am optimistic that we can get these perfected by the end of class tonight. . .I never said I was a realist. . .

Tonight, we will take another look at the NETS-I collaborative narratives, work on your Excel assignment (Bring those headphones!), and get an introduction to Symbaloo and the PLN assignment. . .This is a very unique opportunity for this group as the Computer Using Educators Conference is this week. The hashtag for the conference is #cue13. I suggest you put it in your TweetDeck and then you can participate in the conference virtually. . .This is a great opportunity to see some of the most current technologies in CA and beyond. . . It will also count as an educational chat on Twitter if you are able to grab at least 10 awesome tweets and reflect on what your learned or why they spoke to you. . .

We have also moved into Journals 6-10, so there is always going to be something on your plate. Thanks for all of your hard work and support as you become technology ninjas!!

This week's Question: Do you think the CAHSEE (California High School Exit Exam) should be required to graduate high school? Why or why not?

10 comments:

  1. No, there is so much that a student learns in high school that is not testable by filling in some bubbles like music, art, sports, socialization, time management, critical thinking, inter and intrapersonal knowledge, and existential understanding.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Honestly, I have not even heard of the CAHSEE. My answer though is NO. I completely agree with what Andrew said about students learning a great deal of un-testable material. What if a student were to be a great student, but doesn't do well on the exam (for some unknown reason)...does he or she not pass high school because of one test? The grades and GPA that is acquired throughout high school should be sufficient enough. It just doesn't make sense to me. Why make it completed?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a love-hate relationship with standardized-testing and assessments. Sometimes I think that it benefits students but then I think it is not fair for an individual's graduation to be based on a test that they could pass or fail. I think the CAHSEE and specific assessments are not culturally sensitive either, it also does not take the individual's personal life in consideration. For example, if a student fails a test because they are not emotionally or physically ready due to a death in the family or other factors, it isn't fair to say that they cant graduate because they did not do well. I honestly don't know whether or not it is a good thing or a bad thing. I just don't agree with the fact that a persons graduation, salary, or intelligence is based on an assessment.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, I believe there should be an exit exam, ensuring the competency in high school students. The exam is very basic and tests on basic proficiency in math, reading, and writing. This will ensure that the student's grades were accurate in their knowledge. The greatest aspect is that if a student fails to pass the exam in 10th grade, they may retake the test their junior and senior year.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I believe that the CAHSEE should not be a requirement for graduation. I think that if students pass their classes that should be enough. I think that this test brings extra stress for students, is just something else they need to worry about. They already take standardized tests and finals for their individual classes. Maybe that should be taken into account when determining if they are ready or not to graduate.

    ReplyDelete
  6. No, I don't think that the CAHSEE should be a requirement to graduate because there is a lot of material that is covered during High School. I think the test brings extra stress to students and it too many teachers spend too much time going over the knowledge to pass it instead of teaching the subject they are teaching.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I do not believe that the CAHSEE needs to be a requirement for high school graduation. I believe that students success can be seen by their grades in school. I believe that the CAHSEE is only under crediting teachers. Grades and student portfolios should be the most important determiner of what students know.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't think the CAHSEE should be a requirement to graduate high school. Although they you are allowed to take it again if you didn't pass it, it does add a lot of stress to the students who don't pass.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The CHASEE in my opinion was incredibly easy. And did not gage accurately all I had learned and i was not alone in my opinion. In addition I don't agree with standardized testing for students of any age. It furthers the idea that everyone learns the same and therefore can be tested the same. This idea simply isn't true, we need to find other ways of measuring competency in education.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think that the CHASEE should be a requirement for graduation. I came to the United States in eighth grade and took the test in 10th grade and passed it the first time. I mean, If I passed it without really knowing the language I am sure that students that have been here for more time can also pass it.

    ReplyDelete