Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Week 7: Getting Back on the Saddle

'Horse saddle Sta. Christina d'Aro Horse club (Spain 2011)' photo (c) 2011, Paul Arps - license: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0/After a week off, I sincerely hope we can gallop through the rest of the semester without anyone falling off her/his horse. I appreciate all of the kind words and thoughts many of you posted on Edmodo about the passing of my father. He was a funny man who is often credited for my dry sense of humor ;-)

Last week, you were to have completed the rough draft of your NETS-I collaborative narratives. Even though we didn't have class, you were to have had those completed in order to receive feedback from me. As we didn't have class, I had to postpone the feedback from me, but all of your rough drafts should have been written. Most of you did not complete this. Hopefully, you can get this completed before class begins this evening. Please pay close attention to the format for writing the narratives. I created it in order to make the writing, clear, concise and easier to write. If you can understand the format, it will make the writing of NETS II-V much, much easier. I expect to go over these in great detail tonight.

I have graded all of the work that has been submitted and was due. Please check Edmodo to find your grades and/or comments recommending what needs to be submitted/revised. I will be closing week 2 and 3 soon. . .please pay attention to your grades! Also, I sent everyone an Edmodo Alert requesting that you bring headphones to class tonight. . .I hope you all got the message. Tonight, I will introduce the Microsoft Excel assignment where you will do a fun project following a video tutorial.

I look forward to seeing everyone this evening!

This Week's Question: What is something you have learned well without formal teaching?  How did you learn it?  This could be a sport, hobby, musical instrument, etc. .

13 comments:

  1. With some help from friends I brought my tenor sax playing to high school level in the summer between sophomore and junior year of high school to be able to play in the high school marching band at close to the same level as my peers.This from never having touched an instrument in my life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have learned how to be a positive and effective coach without any training. I learned how to coach volleyball from my many years of playing the sport. I've perfected my coaching by watching other coaches, bad or good, and their individual coaching styles. This has helped me understand what works and what doesn't. I am still learning, but I think I've done a pretty good job for being 22 and coaching 9 seasons (2 undefeated seasons ;)). I believe that in order to be a successful coach, one must learn from their mistakes and vow to make every players experience a positive one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I taught myself how to play guitar. I also am a good disc golfer, bowler, and ping pong player and have never taken any lessons.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I taught myself how to horseback ride and play guitar and violin. I learned by trial and error as I tried new things. I also learned through reading books, watching videos, and believe it or not I learned how to play the guitar through Youtube. Youtube offered countless of free lessons.

    ReplyDelete
  6. One thing that I learned how to do well is growing vegetables in the garden. I've read articles and talked to our pastor at church for tips. It is actually a little bit more difficult than it sounds because you have to plant certain items at a certain time of the year, and some vegetables are extremely sensitive to too much watering. My husband and I have yielded so much that we have ended up sharing our crops with our neighbors. It's fun and rewarding.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I taught myself how to scrapbook at a young age. By looking at examples from friends and creative examples in craft stores over time, my scrapbook techniques have really developed. I love looking at the way other people present pictures and decorate pages to get ideas for my own.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't have any special talents! I feel like something that I learned and practiced a lot without formal teaching would be drawing, and being crafty. I think it will serve me well if i decide to become a teacher, I could definitely keep my students busy with crafts and art ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I taught myself how to scrapbook at a young age. By looking at examples from friends and creative examples in craft stores over time, my scrapbook techniques have really developed. I love looking at the way other people present pictures and decorate pages to get ideas for my own.

    ReplyDelete
  10. something I taught myself is to make blankets with fabric. I heard in a class how to make it, but one day I decided to make one and I did and it came out really cute. I had an idea of how it was made, but I did it on my own. Now I make them as presents.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I taught myself how to be crafty and artsy at a young age. I have always loved to draw and make my own things at home. I think this hobby will help me later on when I am in the classroom. Being crafty and having hand made activities in the classroom really makes learning a fun experience.

    ReplyDelete
  12. i dont really have any special talents :/
    i would have to say something that I taught myself is being very school oriented and having goals in life as well as being responsible. Also having a good sense of humor, throughout the years i have learned to laugh at myself and the glumzy things i do or say.

    ReplyDelete
  13. When I first moved out of my house I had to learn a lot of things by myself. First of all, I had to learn how to iron clothes, cook, and wash my own clothes. But the most important thing was learning to be independent, responsible, and to make decision. I had no idea that moving out of my house was going to be so hard because I came here without knowing anyone, I am the first one in my family to attend college, and did not know how to make decision. I admit that I made a lot of mistakes during my first year here at Cal State, but it was all worth it because those mistakes taught me to be more consistent and to keep trying.

    ReplyDelete